The Ponce Inlet Lighthouse rises 175 feet above the sandy soil in Volusia County, the tallest lighthouse in Florida. It is one of only six of the 30 lighthouses in Florida that are open to the public.
The lighthouse is located on the north side of the Ponce Inlet channel, about 10 miles south of Daytona Beach.
The original lighthouse was built in 1835, but collapsed into the sea a year later after being destroyed by raiding Seminole indians.
Today’s modern lighthouse dates back to 1887. The Fresnel lamp was originally fueled by oil, and didn’t become electric until 1933. The light’s visual signature when viewed from the sea is six quick flashes for 15 seconds, followed by 15 seconds of darkness. The light is visible for 20 miles out at sea.
The light was deactivated by the Coast Guard in 1970, but restored to service in 1982. In 1998 it was designated a National Historic Landmark.
The lighthouse grounds include a museum and several buildings that are used for offices and support staff. The entire operation of the lighthouse grounds is now managed by the Ponce de Leon Inlet Lighthouse Preservation Association, a non-profit organization.
Admission is $6.95 for adults, $1.95 for children, infants are free.
There are several parks located around the lighthouse. Some are free admission. The Lighthouse Point beach park is $10 per vehicle.
For more information visit: https://www.ponceinlet.org